As of the writing of this post, Donald J. Trump has been President for 115 days. Some may say that he has not accomplished anything, but it is the opinion of the Political Great Whine (PGW) that he has managed to accomplish a lot. Let’s see now. In less than six months, President Trump has:
- Issued a travel ban on people traveling to the U.S from select countries with large Muslim populations. It was blocked TWICE;
- Signed an executive order to eliminate environmental protections;
- Whined until frightened little Republican Congressmen passed a health care bill that would do more harm than good if passed by the Senate;
- Suddenly fired FBI Director, James Comey, who was leading an investigation into whether members of his campaign (and now staff) colluded with Russia. This caused his press secretary, Sean Spicer, to head for the bushes!
- Both White House Staff and VP Mike Pence stuck to their talking points that Trump fired Comey based on recommendations given to him. However, Trump “goes off script” and states during an interview with Lester Holt, that his firing of the FBI director had nothing to do with any recommendations.
- Tweeted that Comey had better hope that there “are not any tapes” of their conversation, which implies that there are.
- Only two days after firing Comey, Trump met with two top Russian officials in the Oval Office and…
AND FINALLY—–DRUM ROLL PLEASE!
It has been reported that he went “off script” and shared highly classifed information with said Russians.
“Loose Lips Sink Ships!”
This old idiom dates back to WWII and means that talking too much without any restraint or filter can strengthen your enemy and cost lives. In addition to sinking ships, talking too much can also sink friendships and alliances. According to some reports, countries who are friendly with the U.S and on whom we depend on for information to fight ISIS, may refrain from sharing information out of fear that our President will disclose it and compromise their safety.
It’s not illegal, if the President does it!
The framers of the Constitution are probably rolling in their graves preparing to meet for another constitutional convention! They went to such great lengths to limit the power of the executive branch and genuinely feared giving too much power to a single person. They never anticipated that someone like Donald Trump and his team of bandits would find a constitutional loophole and exploit it! While the powers of Congress were prescribed in the Constitution, the framers were intentionally vague about the powers of the President. While they did not want the president to have absolute power, they also wanted to ensure that the executive branch had enough power to check Congress. So, if the Constitution does not specifically say that a president can NOT do X, Y, or Z then Trump and his merry men consider his actions to be legal. This approach is analogous to deciding on whether to make a right turn at a red light, typically…if there is no sign that says you cannot turn right on red, then you are able to do so. Who knew that Trump’s approach to the presidency is so comparable to driving in traffic. DISCLAIMER: The PGW does not condone illegal right turns!
President Trump (on conflicts of interest)
The disclosure of classified information is “routine”
National Security Advisor, H.R. McMaster addressed reporters and told them that the president’s disclosure of information to the Russian officials was “wholly appropriate” and is “consistent with the routine sharing of information.” Say what now? SOOOoooo, if this is just routine sharing of information, then why classify the information…let alone HIGHLY classify the information in the first place? Just label the intelligence information as “Routine” not “Highly Classified” and then all will be well. OHhhh, that’s right…it doesn’t really matter since the President is able to de-classify classified information thereby making it legal for him to say whatever he wants to whomever he wants whenever he wants. I guess your really can run the United States like a CEO!
“The gift that keeps on giving”
The PGW began the post by listing just of the many things that President Trump has accomplished in less than six months and his most significant ones just happened over the last week! Until the Republican-controlled Congress decide to fulfill their constitutional obligation to check the president, Trump will continue to use his power to:
- increase his personal business wealth (and his children’s);
- “de-classify” information and hand it over to Vladmir Putin (Russia) or some other “strong” leader;
- obstruct, delay, or end the investigation into Russian’s meddling in U.S. elections; and
- Use millions of tax dollars to spend weekends at one of his resorts instead of the at White House. What happened to him using his own money?
Until Next Time
That is all the PGW can take right now and it is only Tuesday! Thanks for “listening” to me whine. Hopefully my whining has made you think. If so, tell your friends/family/colleagues that you heard it through the Political Great Whine!